US, North Korea conclude talks on food aid
US and North Korean officials on Thursday concluded two days of talks on a plan for Washington to provide food aid in return for Pyongyang suspending key parts of its nuclear programme, dpa reported.
There were no immediate statements on any agreement at the talks after a US envoy said the two sides made some progress Wednesday.
Robert King, the US special envoy for North Korean human rights issues, said late Wednesday that the issues were "complicated" but the talks had "made progress."
The talks would "focus on administrative details for a nutritional assistance programme" targeting children, pregnant women and other North Koreans affected by chronic malnutrition, the US State Department said earlier.
The deal for 240,000 tons of food, initially reached last week, raised hopes of a resumption of six-nation talks between the two Koreas, the United States, Japan, Russia and China. Those negotiations, aimed at ending North Korea's nuclear weapons programme, which have been stalled since the end of 2008.
North Korea's nuclear envoy, Ri Yong Ho, arrived in the US late Tuesday for unofficial talks.