Baku, Azerbaijan, Jan.14
By Rufiz Hafizoglu - Trend:
It is expected that the access to several social networks, including to Twitter and Facebook will be blocked in Turkey, Hurriyet newspaper reported on Jan.14.
Reportedly, this decision will be taken due to the online spread of materials about stopping Turkish intelligence service trucks in the Adana province.
Earlier, Turkish Minister for Transport, Maritime Affairs and Communications Lutfi Elvan said that access to the Internet can be blocked in Turkey without a court decision if it is required because of national security interests.
He said that currently, a corresponding draft law is being worked out.
Elvan said that the ministry will be authorized to temporarily restrict Internet access and block access to these resources if materials that can harm national interests are revealed there.
Following this, the ministry will be able to apply to the court requesting to completely shut down these resources. It is also planned to impose a fine in the amount of 500,000 TRY in this sphere.
Turkey previously blocked known websites for security concerns in 2014. Under a court decision, Turkey blocked Twitter on March 21, 2014.
YouTube was blocked again on April 5, 2014 when an audio recording of a secret meeting on the situation in Syria was uploaded to YouTube on March 27, 2014. The mentioned meeting was attended by the heads of intelligence and the general staff of Turkish military.
Edited by CN
Follow the author on Twitter: @rhafizoglu