Baku, Azerbaijan, Nov. 15
By Rufiz Hafizoglu - Trend:
The fact that Jamal Khashoggi's body has not yet been found raises a number of questions, said Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu.
Cavusoglu noted that the statements the Saudi authorities made on Nov.15 are very important, but not sufficient, Turkish media reported on Nov. 15.
The minister also noted that Turkey, as before, insists that Khashoggi's murderers should be convicted in Turkey.
On Nov. 15, the prosecutor general of Saudi Arabia reported that 21 suspects have been detained under the Khashoggi murder case. Only 11 of them have been indicted so far. The Saudi prosecutor is seeking death penalties for five out of 11 suspects, while the rest will be punished according to Sharia laws.
The prosecutor general also disclosed new details of the case. He said the head of the special group, which was engaged in returning Khashoggi to Saudi Arabia, ordered to eliminate the journalist in case of failure of the operation.
On Oct. 2, Khashoggi, known for his criticism of the policies of Riyadh, disappeared when he visited the consulate general of Saudi Arabia in Istanbul, where he came to obtain documents for registration of marriage with a Turkish citizen. A few days later, the Turkish police launched an investigation into his disappearance.
On Oct. 20, the Saudi authorities reported that Khashoggi was killed as a result of a conflict in the Consulate General.
Earlier, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Khashoggi's murderers must be convicted in Turkey.
Erdogan noted that Turkey has a lot of new facts regarding the murder of the Saudi journalist, but, at the same time, Turkey considers it premature make all the information public.
Erdogan noted that Jamal Khashoggi's murder is not an ordinary crime.
The president also noted that 18 people are suspected of murdering Khashoggi and the Saudi authorities should investigate the case.
Follow the author on Twitter: @rhafizoglu