This year's trendiest fitness programs include a mix of fresh ways to sweat it out as well as some stand-bys. Body weight training, a method that uses the body's own weight as the source of resistance for strength training and muscle endurance made the 2013 top hit list according to the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), Azernews reported.
"It's true that things that are old are new again, and it is really nice to see that," says Dick Cotton, ACSM's national director of certification. "Older trends are coming back, and some are coming back and safer."
Take body weight training, which currently sits at third place behind certified fitness professionals and strength training. The most commonly used exercises in body weight training involve push-ups and squats, which require minimal-if any-equipment. Although some brands have capitalized on its popularity by developing suspension training equipment, like TRX systems, more and more boot camp-style classes are encouraging the use of simple objects. The Club Port Baku takes this approach well by combining our state of the art equipment and simplifying the exercise for the guest experience. Our climbing wall and rotating climbing wall is a fantastic way to increase aerobic endurance while combining it with strength. The Boot camp classes and now our new beach body classes will set the high standards we strive for at The Club Port Baku.
Here is the full list of the top 10 fitness trends of 2013 from my personal research around the world:
1. Educated, Certified and Experienced Fitness Professionals: For the sixth consecutive year, the trend of validating fitness experts tops the list. ACSM and EREPS say fully accredited education and certification programs for health and fitness professionals are on the rise. "The industry is getting more professional, more educated and more responsible in providing research-based information," says Cotton. "I think there is less gimmicky exercise equipment out there now and fitness professionals are assisting with that." The Club Port Baku have level 4 instructors and myself being one of the very few in the whole of Europe hold a level 6 EREPS qualification.
2. Strength Training: Strength training holds the number two spot for the second year in a row. Recent research even suggests strength and weight training not only improves fitness, but keeps the mind sharp.
3. Body Weight Training: An easy and economical way to stay in shape. This is something that I use in my boot camp classes to make sure optimum levels are being achieved.
4. Children and Obesity Related Exercise: ACSM says more schools and fitness industry professionals are emphasizing fitness and nutritional programming aimed at kids. "Unfortunately fast food restaurants market to kids and we need to do the same-and we are," says Cotton. "There are so many advances in technology that are helping kids to be more sedentary. Thirty years ago, all we had were TVs. Now we have tons of really entertaining sedentary activities that are part of the problem."
5. Exercise and Weight Loss: Being healthy is not just about being in shape; it's about maintaining a healthy weight. Programs are continuing to focus on a balance of eating and exercise to achieve weight loss.
6. Fitness Programs for Older Adults: As the baby boomers age but live longer, doctors are encouraging their patients to stay fit. "If older adults exercise, hopefully there will be less health care costs," "As you get older, your motivation to exercise changes. You may be less interested in weight loss, but more interested in having energy and sleeping better.
7. Personal Training: More communities and corporate businesses are making personal trainers accessible through wellness programs. The Club Port Baku is the only Health Club in Azerbaijan to have globally recognized training professionals.
8. Functional Fitness: Functional fitness programs are often designed for older adults and incorporate every day activities that use strength training to improve balance and coordination.
9. Core Training: Strengthening core muscles improves the body's overall stability. The core is everything except from the legs and arms. The core is sometimes associated with just stomach exercises however lower back exercises are just as important.
10. Group Personal Training: Trainers can cater regimes to more people through small group classes. These are typically less expensive than the cost for a personal trainer, and are quite fun.
With the holidays approaching and access to the beach becomes much more accessible, it is a good time to get familiar with some of the latest fitness trends, and set a spring season goal to try some this year at The Club Port Baku.
Make it happen!!
Follow us on Twitter @TRENDNewsAgency