Details added (first version posted on 14:11)
Baku, Azerbaijan, Jan. 6
By Seba Aghayeva - Trend:
Uruguay's Foreign Ministry will examine the credibility of Armenian media reports, which said that this country's foreign minister allegedly urged international community to recognize the separatist regime of Nagorno-Karabakh, the acting head of the press service of Azerbaijan's Foreign Ministry, Hikmet Hajiyev said Jan. 6.
"Azerbaijan's Embassy in Uruguay was instructed to investigate the credibility of this information together with Uruguay's Foreign Ministry," Hajiyev said.
He added that in many cases the Armenian media outlets, such as the Asbarez website, represent information in a distorted form.
"Recently, the statements made by the Uruguayan Vice President and Chairman of Uruguay's Senate Danilo Astori during his visit to Armenia, had been distorted as well," he said. "Later, Uruguay's Foreign Ministry, citing Astori himself, said the information disseminated on his behalf is untrue. The official stance of Uruguay is to support a peaceful settlement of the conflict through talks and taking into account the interests of both sides."
The conflict between the two South Caucasus countries began in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan.
As a result of the ensuing war, in 1992 Armenian armed forces occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijan, including the Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven surrounding districts.
The two countries signed a ceasefire agreement in 1994. The co-chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group, Russia, France and the US are currently holding peace negotiations.
Armenia has not yet implemented four UN Security Council resolutions on the liberation of the Nagorno-Karabakh and the surrounding regions.
Edited by SI