O.J. Simpson held on bail violation
( AP )- O.J. Simpson was taken into custody Friday in Florida and will be brought before a judge next week on allegations that he violated terms of his bail in a Las Vegas armed robbery case, court officials said.
Clark County District Attorney David Roger alleges that in a November voice message, Simpson told his bail bondsman to contact co-defendant Clarence "C.J." Stewart and express frustration about testimony given at hearing where Simpson, Stewart and a third man were ordered to stand trial.
"I'm tired of this (expletive)," Simpson is quoted as saying in a transcript that was included in Roger's motion to revoke bail filed Friday. "Fed up with (expletive) changing what they told me. All right?"
Simpson had been instructed by Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Joe M. Bonaventure in September not to have any contact with anyone involved in the case - not even by "carrier pigeon."
Simpson was to go before a judge Wednesday.
"We understand he's in the custody of his bail bondsman in Florida right now and will be brought to Las Vegas for the hearing," said Elana Pitaro , a clerk for District Court Judge Jackie Glass.
WSVN-TV in Miami showed video of Simpson walking through Miami International Airport near an American Airlines counter Friday. He was wearing a golf visor, golf shirt and jeans, talking on a cell phone while a man accompanied him.
"I can't talk to you guys. I cannot talk to you guys," Simpson said before boarding the plane.
Simpson's lawyer Yale Galanter did not return phone messages seeking comment. A bail bondsman at You Ring We Spring bail bonds in North Las Vegas declined to comment.
Simpson was freed Sept. 19 on $125,000 bail following his arrest on allegations he and several friends burst into a Las Vegas hotel room and robbed two sports memorabilia dealers at gunpoint.
Simpson has maintained that he was retrieving items that belonged to him. He and the two other men are scheduled to stand trial April 7.
Roger alleges that Simpson left the voice message with bail bondsman Miguel Pereira for Stewart on Nov. 16, two days after Bonaventure ruled that Simpson, Stewart and Charles Ehrlich, should stand trial on 12 charges, including kidnapping and armed robbery.
A lawyer for Stewart said his client was never contacted.
Simpson, Stewart and Ehrlich each pleaded not guilty Nov. 28 to kidnapping, armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon, burglary, coercion and conspiracy charges. A kidnapping conviction could bring a life sentence with the possibility of parole. An armed robbery conviction carries mandatory prison time.
Three other former co-defendants, Walter Alexander, Michael McClinton and Charles Cashmore , agreed to plea deals and testified against Simpson at the evidentiary hearing in Las Vegas.
Simpson has maintained that no guns were displayed during the confrontation, that he never asked anyone to bring guns and that he did not know anyone had guns. He has said he intended only to retrieve items that had been stolen from him by a former agent, including the suit he wore the day he was acquitted of murder in 1995 in the slayings of his wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend, Ronald Goldman.