Consumer recklessness on gas-safety issues causes most blasts: head of Bakgaz (video)
Azerbaijan, Baku, Jan. 22/ Trend , E. Ismayilov/
Consumer recklessness on gas-safety issues is the main reason for the recent upswing in gas blasts and leaks in Baku, head of Bakgaz Tahir Aliyev said at a press conference on Jan. 22.
"One reason for the blasts is that consumers make bad connections between their domestic gas supplies and the general system by using rubber hoses," Aliyev said.
He said it is prohibited to use gas devices to heat homes in paneled buildings. Gas devices can only be used in private homes according to regulations, he added.
"Most carbon-monoxide poisoning cases in paneled buildings occur because chimneys are connected with ventilation systems," Aliyev said. "Carbon monoxide gets clogged in the chimneys gradually."
A blast occurred in a 5-storey building at 30 Javadkhan St. on Jan. 16. The fourth and fifth stories in one section of the building completely collapsed. The blast killed 5 and injured 10.
Earlier head of Azerigaz Alikhan Malikov said blasts occur in buildings without heating systems because consumers use illegal gas devices.
"These devices are installed through rubber houses without the respective instructions. Chimneys are also installed poorly," Malikov said.
Have any feedback? Contact our journalist at: [email protected]