Connecting to GEANT2 to enhance Azerbaijani-EU researchers cooperation
Azerbaijan, Baku, Oct. 29 / Trend , H.Valiyev/
Azerbaijan's connecting to the pan-European research network GEANT2, implemented within the framework of Black Sea Interconnection (BSI), will strengthen the cooperation of the Azerbaijani researchers with their counterparts in the regional countries and countries in Europe, the BSI project coordinator, Murat Soysal said in an interview with journalists.
He said over €1.8 million was allocated to create an international networking infrastructure between research and education networks in the South Caucasus region and connect it to the pan-European research network GEANT2 allocated more than 1,8 million euros. Some 80 percent of the budget is financed by the European Commission (€1.4 million), while the remaining 20 percent will be invested by the Southern Caucasus countries.
At present, the work is underway to expand the digital environment, and a permanent budget for 2010 is being determined. In a later stage, according to Soysal, under the terms of the project, funding of the South Caucasus countries will increase to 50 percent.
At present, Azerbaijan uses only 30 percent (34 Mbps) network of research resources, after implementation of the project, this figure will be increased to 100 percent.
The project focuses on the Caucasus region. The network provides the interconnection of Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia, as well as to connect these countries to GEANT2.
Multi-gigabit GEANT2 network provides high performance, modern infrastructure of transmitting data for scientific and educational communities. Main GEANT2 unites 30 European national research and education networks (NREN) of 34 European countries and has links with other regions of the world.
In addition to the association NREN, GEANT2 network offers unparalleled geographic coverage, high bandwidth and creates the conditions for global cooperation in research
Do you have any feedback? Contact our journalist at: [email protected]