Iran 'surprised' by Senegal's move
Iran's Foreign Ministry says Tehran is "surprised" about Senegal's official announcement about cutting diplomatic ties with the Islamic Republic, Press TV reported.
Earlier on Wednesday, Senegal said it would sever diplomatic ties with Iran over a dispute about an "Iranian arms shipment which was discovered in Nigeria in October 2010."
"This announcement comes following recent visits that led to the Dakar negotiations, [during which] the political and military officials of both countries stressed the resolution of all existing misunderstandings and the necessity of expanding bilateral ties," Iran's Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Wednesday.
In January, Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi visited Senegal and held talks with Senegalese President Abdoulaye Wade and several other officials.
Salehi later described the outcomes of his visit as "successful" and said the two countries have agreed to undertake new projects to increase the value of economic cooperation to 200 million dollars.
The issuance of an official statement by the Senegalese government about the resolution of misunderstandings, Wade's stress on "opening a new chapter in relations between the two countries" and the return of Senegalese ambassador to Tehran was considered by Iran as indication of the normalization of relations, the Foreign Ministry said.
"From the Islamic Republic of Iran's viewpoint, the Senegalese government's recent action has no logical reason and justification, and seems to have taken place under the influence of other factors."
"The Islamic Republic of Iran once again stresses the priority of expanding all-out ties with all African nations as an unassailable principle in its foreign policy, and declares its commitment to all its former obligations and agreements," the statement concluded.