Baku, Azerbaijan, Dec. 5
By Fatih Karimov – Trend:
Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Ali Akbar Salehi has called on the US to stop implementation of a bill on extending sanctions against the Islamic Republic, Mehr news agency reported Dec. 5.
During a meeting with the US Secretary of Energy Ernest Moniz in Vienna on Dec. 4 on the sidelines of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) International Conference on Nuclear Security, Salehi expressed “serious” concerns over the extension of Iran Sanctions Act (ISA) in the US Congress.
He underlined that Washington should be committed to the nuclear deal signed last year between Tehran and the six world powers (P5+1).
Salehi also said that the Islamic Republic is fully committed to all of its obligations under the nuclear deal.
He further said that Tehran reserves its right to respond to the actions of the US.
Moniz, for his part, said that will deliver Iran’s message of concern to President Barack Obama.
The US official also underlined its country’s commitment to the nuclear deal, adding that Obama will use his authority to prevent implementation of certain parts of the ISA which contradicts the JCPOA (Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action aka nuclear deal).
The US lawmakers have recently reauthorized the ISA, which was first introduced in 1996 to punish investments in Iran's energy industry based on accusations that Tehran was pursuing non-civilian objectives in its nuclear energy program.
While Barack Obama is expected to approve the legislation on the renewal of sanctions against Iran for the next 10 years, Iranian leaders have sharply criticized the motion describing it as a breach of the last year’s landmark nuclear deal.