Rouhani says will not back down from missile program
Tehran, Iran, June 21
By Mehdi Sepahvand – Trend:
Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani has said he will not back down from pursuing a robust missile program.
“They are taken by mistake if the new US rulers think they can pressurize Iran with bills … in the Senate and Congress,” he said in reference to a new Senate move to impose new sanctions on Iran over its missile program, IRNA news agency reported June 21.
“Our missiles are for self-defense and we will not seek permission when it comes to our defense power.”
The president also commented on the Revolutionary Guards Corps’ recent missile attack on the “Islamic State” (IS, ISIS, ISIL, Daesh) in Syria and said, “If the masters of terrorism have decided to extend terrorism into the holy land of Iran, they should know that the Islamic Republic will not let them do that.”
On June 7, gunmen mounted almost simultaneous assaults on Iran’s Parliament and the Mausoleum of the late Founder of the Islamic Republic Imam Khomeini. The IS claimed responsibility for the assaults. The attacks killed 17 people and injured over 50 others.
In retaliation, the IRGC launched missiles into Syria where IS command headquarters were situated on June 18. Sources announced that at least 65 IS terrorists, including several high-ranking intelligence commanders, had been killed in the missile attack.