Yemeni court sentences two al-Qaeda men to death over attacks
A Yemeni state security court on Wednesday sentenced two al-Qaeda members to death over attacks on military and police targets last year, DPA reported.
Presiding judge Muhssein Alwan said the court found Mubarak Hadi al-Shabwani and Mansour Saleh Dalil guilty of three attacks including one on a convoy in Hadhramout province, that killed three high-ranking police officials and five soldiers in November.
The two men were also convicted of attacking a military truck carrying equipment and ammunition in Marib province in July 2009, killing a soldier.
The court also convicted the two defendants of fatally shooting two policemen pursuing them in the same province in December.
After the verdicts were pronounced, the two convicts shouted "God is greatest."
Dalil lodged and appeal against the verdict, while al-Shabwani said the court was "not legitimate."
Yemen, has in recent months stepped up its crackdown on al-Qaeda militants in areas in the south and east of the country, where the group enjoys the protection of tribes.