Egypt trial on football riots to start on April 17
The trial of 75 people charged with involvement in football rioting in Egypt is to begin on April 17, judicial sources said, dpa reported.
The trial will be held in a makeshift courtroom at the Police Academy on the outskirts of Cairo, instead of in the city of Port Said where the tragedy occurred in February, the semi-official newspaper Al Ahram reported Saturday, citing Justice Minister Adel Abdel Hamid.
The change of venue was because of security reasons, sources said.
On February 1, 74 people were trampled to death in the Port Said stadium, following a Premier League match between the hosts al-Masry and their rivals al-Ahly.
The defendants include nine policemen and three officials from al-Masry. They face charges ranging from murder to negligence.
One person was killed and more than 60 injured last week in Port Said in clashes between security forces and football fans after the Egyptian Football Association banned al-Masry for two seasons over the February 1 deaths.
The opposition has accused the country's military rulers of having orchestrated the deaths allegedly to prolong their stay in power.