UN convoy attacked in Syria, no injuries
A United Nations convoy that included the new head of the UN monitoring mission in Syria was attacked Sunday, but no UN personnel were injured, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said Monday, DPA reported.
The attack took place as Lieutenant General Babacar Gaye made his first visit to the cities of Homs and Ar-Rastan after his appointment last week as acting head of the UN Supervision Mission in Syria.
At UN headquarters in New York, Ban said that "more than a dozen" UN armoured vehicles had been attacked and destroyed in the country since their deployment in mid-April. He did not identify the attackers.
"The situation has become worse and worse," Ban said. He said the monitors have continued to observe the fighting in Syria and made reports on the situation even though their official ceasefire monitoring had been suspended.