More than 1,000 Egyptians evacuated from Libya following murder of 21 Copts by IS
At least 1,000 citizens of Egypt have been evacuated from Libya since Feb. 20 via Tunisia after the assassination of 21 Egyptian Christian Copts by the militants of the terrorist group "Islamic State" (IS), the RIA Novosti news agency reported.
Earlier a video was placed on the online social resources, owned by the IS, which shows the execution of the Egyptian Coptic Christians (21 people) previously captured in Libya.
Egypt's President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said in a televised address that Cairo reserves the right to response action.
Shortly thereafter, the Egyptian air force bombed a base of the militants in the Libyan city of Derna.
A representative of the Transport Ministry of Tunisia told Agence France-Presse (AFP) that the first plane carrying the Egyptians flew out of the country on Friday.
In total, since the last Friday, at least 1,000 Egyptian citizens have returned to Egypt.
The representative of Tunisia's Transport Ministry said that in the near future another 250 Egyptians will depart from the Djerba Zarzis Airport to Egypt.
A representative of the Tunisian customs service said an indefinite number of Egyptians are on the Tunisian-Libyan border hoping to get into the country.
Edited by CN