Five Britons killed in bus accident in Ecuador, 12 injured
(dpa) - Five British tourists were killed and 12 injured in a bus crash in Ecuador, a spokeswoman for the Foreign Office said Sunday in London.
The accident occurred between the capital Quito and Puerto Lopez between 6 and 7 pm Saturday evening.
The cause of the crash was still unclear.
"We are not sure whether any other vehicles were involved. We are still trying to piece together all the details," the spokeswoman said.
British Embassy staff are providing consular assistance and are working with the tour company involved to inform the victims' relatives.
A total of 17 British tourists had been travelling aboard the tour bus.