Spanish transport ministry denies leaks in Spanair aircrash enquiry
The Spanish transport ministry rejected
claims it leaked confidential details of its investigation into the August 20
Spanair air crash which killed 154 people and left 18 injured in Madrid, dpa reported, referring
to the Spanish media.
"I am also disgusted by this. This is a lack of respect for the survivors," Minister Magdalena Alvarez was quoted as saying, adding she would ensure that those responsible for the leaks would be brought to justice.
Earlier this week, a preliminary report of the commission investigating the crash was leaked, revealing that the Spanair MD-82 jetliner's wing flaps were not properly extended and that the plane's take-off warning system failed to alert the pilots of the problem.
It was also been revealed that the co-pilot was in charge of the plane.
The comments by the minister came one day after the commission's credibility was hit as the main pilots' representative quit in protest over the leaks.
On Thursday, the daily El Pais had also published a video of the crash and voice recordings of the first emergency alerts in its online edition.
"There has been an accident, we have seen fire and smoke," an anxious woman's voice is heard saying in the control tower.
Referring to freedom of information laws, the newspaper refused to stop the publication even after being ordered by the investigating judge to do so.
El Pais also said the footage was already freely available on the internet, but handed over a recording to the police.
The commission will make the report public officially next week, sources close to the investigation said Friday.
The opposition conservative People's Party (PP) has asked the government to dissolve the commission, arguing that it was no longer credible, and to start the investigation from zero.