Carbon monoxide poisoning sickens 66 at China school
Sixty-five pupils and a teacher at a primary school have fallen ill due to carbon-monoxide poisoning in north China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, and 19 pupils remained hospitalized as of Thursday, reported Xinhua.
All of the victims are in stable condition, despite symptoms of headache, dizziness and nausea, said a spokesman with the disease control center in Hohhot, capital of the autonomous region.
The pupils and the teacher of Niuchang Primary School in Hohhot's Yuquan District reported feeling dizzy after waking up early Wednesday morning. They were sent to different hospitals.
As of late Thursday afternoon, 47 had been discharged from hospital.
An initial investigation by the disease control center indicated that smoke leaked into the dorms from the boiler room. The boiler was supplying heat to the dorms.
Earlier this month, 11 students died of carbon-monoxide poisoning when they used a charcoal stove to warm themselves in a middle school in northwest China's Shaanxi Province.