Lebanese cabinet approves Qatar's call for emergency Arab summit
The Lebanese cabinet approved Qatar 's initiative to convene an emergency Arab summit to discuss the Israeli offensive against the Gaza Strip, local Daily Star reported Tuesday.
Unidentified Lebanese sources revealed the Lebanese cabinet approved the call in its late Monday meeting and that the summit might be held in Kuwait on Jan. 22.
Fourteen Arab states have accepted the invitation, a number enough for an emergency session under the Arab League's charter to convene, the report said.
Lebanese President Michel Suleiman, as well as Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri, has reiterated calls many times for an urgent Arab summit aimed at adopting a unified Arab stand regarding the attacks in Gaza.
Qatar has called twice for an Arab summit since the Israeli offensive on Gaza which started on Dec. 27 of 2008, but none was launched because some countries, such as Egypt, were not in favor.
Earlier this month, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said he would convene an Arab summit even if it proved to be short of participants.
The annual Arab summit held in Damascus in March, 2008, was boycotted by several Arab states, while some lowered the level of their representation due to inter-Arab differences, reported Xinhua.