The death toll caused by the A/H1N1 influenza rose to five in Ecuador after the report of a new death, said the authorities Thursday, Xinhua reported.
Ecuadoran Health Minister Caroline Chang urged the people to keep calm but alert amid the outbreak.
The health authorities will boost efforts to identify the infections and treat people with not only grave respiratory problems but also moderate ones, Chang told TV channel Teleamazonas.
She said that the country's current anti-flu strategy includes prevention, in-time diagnosis and immediate treatment.
So far, Ecuador has reported a total of 304 confirmed cases of the epidemic.