Coal mine blast death toll rises to 17 in north China
The death toll in an explosion at a coal mine in Linfen City of north China's Shanxi Province early Saturday has risen to 17 after another two bodies had been found, local authorities said, Xinhua reported.
At least 20 others were injured, including seven seriously injured, in the blast at Liugou Coal Mine of Yicheng County, said a senior official of Yangquan Coal Industry (Group) Co. Ltd, which owns the coal mine.
The injured had been sent to hospital and had all been in stable conditions, the official said.
The search and rescue work had basically finished, the official said, adding the blast occurred at the dormitory area.
Initial investigation showed that the blast was caused by explosives hidden illegally in the area, and the suspect had been detained by the police, the official said.
Further Investigation into the cause of the blast is underway.