Death toll rises to four, thousands evacuated in Malaysian floods
Four people have drowned and some 50,000 were forced to evacuate their homes as floodwaters rose in Malaysia's northern states of Kedah and Perlis, officials said Friday.
Two other people have been reported missing after falling into rising floodwaters in Kedah, which has been worst hit by the floods, dpa reported.
More than 33,000 people have been displaced to live in temporary relief centres throughout the state, while rising water levels have forced the closure of airports and major roads and highways, state rescue officials said.
In Perlis, more than 15,000 people were evacuated from their homes to relief centres, which include schools and community halls.
The neighbouring states of Kelantan and Terengganu have also been hit by the floods, brought on by the annual year-end monsoon rains which typically last until early January.
Last year, the government spent more than 60 million ringgit (18 million dollars) on flood relief, which included the setting up of more than 5,000 evacuation centres to accommodate the swelling number of evacuees.