NATO-led forces said on Friday that more than 50 insurgents have been killed during a security operation targeting a foreign fighter encampment site, DPA reported.
NATO-led International Security Assistance Forces said in a statement on Friday that the insurgents were killed in their encampment in Sar Rowzah district of the south-eastern province of Paktika overnight. The province also borders with Pakistan.
The encampment site was a staging area for Haqqani and foreign fighters moving into the country to carry out attacks, it said.
The coalition forces said that they acted after being tipped off about the encampment. Afghan special forces also took part in the action against the rebels overnight from Thursday to Friday.
Afghan authorities blame the Haqqani network for high-profile attacks in the war-torn country. The network is believed to be the mastermind behind the suicide attacks on one of Kabul's luxury hotels last month that left at least ten people dead.
Afghan security forces are due to take over responsibility for seven cities from the US-led coalition forces this month, at a time when insurgents are stepping up their attacks.
The US-led coalition is to end its combat mission in Afghanistan by 2014.