Canadian company excludes occupied Nagorno-Karabakh from list of call locations
Baku, Azerbaijan, June 2
By Seba Aghayeva - Trend:
The Canadian telecommunications company excluded Nagorno-Karabakh from the list of call locations, the letter of the Canadian company Startec said, Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Hikmet Hajiyev told Trend on June 2.
The letter was sent in response to the reaction of the Azerbaijani embassy in Canada.
Previously, this company was providing opportunity to make calls to Azerbaijan's territories occupied by Armenia.
"The Azerbaijani embassy in Canada expressed Azerbaijan's dissatisfaction in connection with such activity of the company, informing about the occupation of Azerbaijani territories by Armenia," Hajiyev said. "The embassy raised the question for the company to exclude Nagorno-Karabakh from the list of dial-up services."
"In a reply letter, the company apologized to the Azerbaijani side and informed about the suspension of calls to these areas," he said.
The conflict between the two South Caucasus countries began in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan. As a result of the ensuing war, in 1992 Armenian armed forces occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijan, including the Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven surrounding districts.
The two countries signed a ceasefire agreement in 1994. The co-chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group, Russia, France and the US are currently holding peace negotiations. Armenia has not yet implemented the UN Security Council's four resolutions on the liberation of the Nagorno-Karabakh and the surrounding regions.
follow the author on Twitter: @Asebaa