Defense Ministry: Dead body of Azerbaijani soldier found on Armenia-occupied lands (UPDATE)
Details added (first version posted on 11:38)
Baku, Azerbaijan, Apr. 16
Azerbaijan's Defense Ministry has confirmed the information that the dead body of its serviceman was found on the Armenia-occupied side of the contact line running between the troops of Azerbaijan and Armenia.
Currently, the relevant agencies are conducting preparatory and coordination works to return the body, the Defense Ministry told Trend Apr. 16.
It was previously reported that the Armenian side is refusing to provide information about the missing Azerbaijani serviceman, warrant officer Seymur Bakhishov.
On the night of April 2, 2016, all the frontier positions of Azerbaijan were subjected to heavy fire from the Armenian side, which used large-caliber weapons, mortars and grenade launchers.
The armed clashes resulted in deaths and injuries among the Azerbaijani population. Azerbaijan responded with a counter-attack, which led to liberation of several strategic heights and settlements.
Military operations were stopped on the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian armies on Apr. 5 at 12:00 (UTC/GMT + 4 hours) with the consent of the sides, Azerbaijan's Defense Ministry earlier said. Ignoring the agreement, the Armenian side again started violating the ceasefire.
The conflict between the two South Caucasus countries began in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan. As a result of the ensuing war, in 1992 Armenian armed forces occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijan, including the Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven surrounding districts. The 1994 ceasefire agreement was followed by peace negotiations.
Armenia has not yet implemented four UN Security Council resolutions on withdrawal of its armed forces from the Nagorno-Karabakh and the surrounding districts.