Mourning over mine accident victims announced in Turkey
Baku, Azerbaijan, May 14
By Rufiz Hafizoglu - Trend:
Turkey has announced a three day mourning period for the victims of the latest mine accident, the Turkish Cabinet of Ministers reported on May 14.
Turkish flags will fly at half mast in the country, as well as in all the diplomatic missions during the three day period, according to the report.
Some 205 people were killed in the mine accident in Manisa province.
The Turkish Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources does not have accurate data on the number of workers who were in the mine at the time of the explosion, Turkish Minister of Energy and Natural Resources Taner Yildiz said on May 14.
"The published data on the number of workers was previously provided by the head of the mine," he said.
He also said that at present, work is underway to rescue more than 150 miners.
The minister added that some 370 people were rescued as part of the operations.
Few chances remain to rescue the miners, Turkish Minister of Energy and Natural Resources Taner Yildiz said earlier.
The mine has burst into flame and although the miners have few chances for survival, the rescuers will do everything possible, the minister stressed.
Most of the miners died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.