Turkey initiates criminal case upon fact of deaths in mine explosion
Baku, Azerbaijan, May 14
By Rufiz Hafizoglu - Trend:
Turkey has initiated a criminal case following the deaths that resulted from a mine explosion in the country's Manisa province, Turkish Sabah newspaper reported on May 14.
Moreover, the country has launched an investigation into the fact that a number of miners worked illegally at the mine.
Previously, Turkey's leading oppositional People's Republican Party appealed to the country's parliament about the illegal workers at the Soma mine in Manisa province.
The parliament refused to consider this issue.
Turkey has announced a three day mourning period for victims of the mining accident, the Turkish Cabinet of Ministers reported on May 14.
Turkish flags will fly at half staff in the country, as well as in all the diplomatic missions for the three day mourning period, according to the report.
Some 205 people were killed in the mine accident in Manisa province.
The Turkish Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources does not have accurate data on the number of workers who were in the mine at the time of the explosion, Turkish Minister of Energy and Natural Resources Taner Yildiz said on May 14.
The previously published data on the number of workers in the mine at the time of the accident was provided by the head of the mine and could not been confirmed by the ministry.
The minister added that some 370 people have been rescued as part of rescue operations.
He said that at present work is underway to rescue more miners.
However, few chances remain to rescue the miners, Turkish Minister of Energy and Natural Resources Taner Yildiz said earlier.
The mine has burst into flame and although the miners have few chances for survival, the rescuers will do everything possible, the minister stressed.
Most of the miners died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Edited by C.N.