Kazakhstan, Astana, June 25 / Trend , K. Konirova/
The presence of Russian troops in Abkhazia and South Ossetia is inappropriate, NATO Secretary General Special Representative in Central Asia and South Caucasus Robert Simmons told reporters in the Security Forum of Euro-Atlantic Partnership Council which is underway in Astana.
"We believe that the presence of Russian troops is inappropriate and a document which was signed under the aegis of France, is not fulfilled," Simons said. "Russia's military contingent should be withdrawn from Abkhazia and South Ossetia, as today it is greater than it was before the conflict erupted."
At the night of 8 August, large-scale military operations were launched in the self-declared South Ossetia republic. The Georgian troops entered Tskhinvali. Later the Russian troops entered the city and drove the Georgian forces back to the Georgian territory. In late August, Russia recognized independence of South Ossetia and Abkhazia. In response, Tbilisi severed diplomatic ties with Moscow and announced the two break-away regions to be occupied lands.
Somons said Russia's using force in response to the conflict in Georgia last year was excessive. "There was no conflict in Abkhazia, but Russian troops entered there and they still keep on controlling Abkhazia and South Ossetia," he said.
Simmons said NATO temporarily suspended relations with Russia after the conflict.
"We will meet Russian foreign minister in Corfu this weekend, but at the same time, our position on Georgia remains the same," Simons said.
Foreign Ministers of the Russia-NATO council will meet in Corfu, Greece on June 27.