Schuettler asks ITF to apologise over statement
German tennis player Rainer Schuettler has asked the International Tennis Federation for a public apology over an ITF statement issued after he was allowed to play at the Beijing Olympics.
"I find the mentioned statement shocking, harming and damaging to my reputation due to the inaccuracy of its content," said Schuettler in the letter adressed to ITF boss Francesco Ricci Bitti, the dpa reported.
"In my opinion this is not the way a sports federation should act and I demand an apology from the ITF to all people and organizations affected by this statement."
Schuettler was granted a place in the Olympic field by a ruling Monday from the Court of Arbitration for Sport after being denied entry by the ITF.
The ITF reacted upset in a statement, attacking Schuettler and the German Olympic Committee.
"While recognising that the German NOC may not understand how professional tennis works, there is no excuse for Mr. Schuettler who is prepared to take a place that was earned by his compatriot Denis Gremelmayr and of next alternate Michael Berrer. The ITF wishes him the best of luck even if he was not eligible for Beijing," said the ITF.
Schuettler asked the ITF for respect, fairness and acceptance but also pointed out that there had been trouble at previous Olympic tournaments.
"This is the third consecutive Olympic tournament where problems occur and you were unable to manage the tournament in a professional way. I have been President of ATP's Player Council during the past Olympics in Athens and I was involved in these annoying points," he said.