Azerbaijan's ministry of economic development and WB launches integrated solid waste management project
Baku, Azerbaijan, September 29 / Trend , A.Badalova /
Ministry of Economic Development of Azerbaijan and the World Bank began implementing Integrated Solid Waste Management Project, agreement on which was signed in May.
The Minister of Economic Development of Azerbaijan Shahin Mustafayev said that the Integrated Solid Waste Management Project implemented within the Absheron Rehabilitation Program assumes great importance. He said the total project cost is $41.5 million. Of this amount, $29.5 million will be provided by the World Bank and $12 million by the Government of Azerbaijan.
According to head of project management team, chief adviser at the Ministry of Economic Development Sahil Babayev, the project consists of five components:
- Institutional reform, capacity building and project management. The cost of this component is $6.68 million. It will be financed by a loan from the WB;
- Upgrading Balakhani landfill. The cost of this component - $10.71 million (at the expense of loan);
- Rehabilitation of other landfills. Cost - $6.4 million (at the expense of loan);
- Providing equipment for waste collection. Cost - $1.5 million (funding from the government);
- Technical preparation of investments after the project implementation. Cost - $1.9 million (at the expense of loan).
Project implementation period is five years.