Azerbaijan to increase agricultural exports to Estonia
Azerbaijan, Baku, April 17 / Trend A.Akhundov /
Azerbaijan will work to increase exports of vegetables, fruits and canned goods of domestic production to Estonia, Minister of Agriculture of Azerbaijan Ismet Abasov said at a meeting with a delegation led by Estonian minister of agriculture Helir-Valdor Seeder, the Azerbaijani ministry said on Tuesday.
The sides discussed issues of cooperation in agriculture between Azerbaijan and Estonia.
Abasov said that in 2011 Azerbaijan imported from Estonia agro-industrial products worth $53,200, and exported to Estonia similar products worth $388,300.
"Appropriate phytosanitary measures to prevent penetration into the country of harmful quarantine organisms, as well as for continued exchange by veterinary services of the republic of information and experience in the field of plant protection and quarantine, the situation of dangerous infectious animal diseases," said Abasov.
To promote cooperation in agriculture between Azerbaijan and Estonia, the Minister presented a number of proposals on the lines indicated below:
- Preparation of a draft "Agreement on cooperation in quarantine and plant protection between the governments of Azerbaijan and Estonia";
- Preparation of a draft "Agreement on cooperation in the veterinary field between the governments of Azerbaijan and Estonia";
- Preparation of a draft "Agreement on cooperation in agriculture between the Ministries of Agriculture of Azerbaijan and Estonia";
- Cooperation in the sphere of mutual testing of cereals and legumes;
- Increase in exports of vegetables, fruits, and canned food of republican production to Estonia;
- Cooperation between educational and research institutions of agricultural specialization.
Seeder thanked for the warm welcome, stressing that he would spare no effort to promote bilateral cooperation in agriculture.