China to provide $25M for construction of hydroelectric power plants in Uzbekistan

Oil&Gas Materials 8 April 2019 12:52 (UTC +04:00)

Baku, Azerbaijan, April 8

By Fakhri Vakilov – Trend:

Uzbekistan plans to build two new small hydropower plants on the Dargom Canal in the Samarkand region by using loans from China, Trend reports with reference to a government decree.

The aim of the project is to consistently increase the use of renewable energy sources, the balance of energy resources and ensure the most complete satisfaction of the needs of economy and population of the country in electricity.

The two power stations will be built with preferential loans from the Ministry of Commerce of China. The total cost of projects will exceed $30 million. Construction of hydropower plants is scheduled for completion at the end of 2021.

Chinese Eximbank will allocate $24.8 million for their implementation, while Uzbekgidroenergo will allocate the remaining $5.8 million at its own expense.

After start-up, the capacity of the Shaudarskaya small hydropower plant will be 7.2 MW, and the Small HPP - 7.4 MW. Each year, the first station will produce 37.8 million kW/h, and the second - 34.3 million kW/h.

Uzbekistan’s need for electricity is 69 billion kWh at the moment, while about 64 billion kWh is produced. Almost 86 percent of the energy comes from burning gas and coal, and the remaining 14 percent is produced by hydroelectric power plants.


Follow author on Twitter:@vakilovfaxri