ICT official talks on increasing cyber-attacks on Iran
TEHRAN, Iran, Feb.17
The increased cyber attacks on Iran originate from both local and foreign sources, Iran's Deputy ICT Minister Amir Nazemi said, Trend reports via ISNA.
"Due to attacks, internet services in the country may get disrupted," he said.
"These days, organized attacks are being carried out from overseas, and their volume is very big and continues to grow," he said.
“The amount of attacks have never been as high as now, and the peak of attacks have more than doubled since last week,” he added.
Nazemi said that Iran is doing its best to prevent the attacks.
"Not all the attacks are coming from the outside, some of them are local. But some of our data centers weren't ready for them," said the official.
He pointed out that the quality of internet in the country has been affected by cyber attacks.
Iran’s telecommunications network experienced a significant disruption on the morning of February 8, which affected much of the country's telecommunications network, leaving many people without internet or mobile phone services.
Hamid Fatahi, the Deputy Minister of Information and Communication Technology, said the attack was a distributed denial of service attack, or DDoS, which involves flooding servers with traffic in order to overwhelm them to the point of shutdown.