BAKU, Azerbaijan, Oct. 2
Losing its positions on the battlefield and being forced to retreat, Armenia resorted to a new provocation, Trend reports citing the Ministry of Transport, Communications and High Technologies of Azerbaijan.
The ministry said that landline telephones of citizens living in the frontline zone receive calls from numbers with codes of various countries, and false information is reported on behalf of the Ministry of Emergencies of Azerbaijan.
The ministry said that the goal of this, as always, is to create panic among the population.
The ministry's electronic security service informs citizens that these messages are false, the ministry said.
Armenian Armed Forces launched a large-scale military attack on positions of Azerbaijani army on the front line, using large-caliber weapons, mortars and artillery on Sept. 27.
Azerbaijan responded with a counter-offensive along the entire front. As a result of retaliation, Azerbaijani troops liberated a number of territories previously occupied by Armenia, as well as took important, strategic heights under control.
Military actions continued on Sept. 29 - Oct. 1. According to a statement from Azerbaijan's Defense Ministry, the Armenian armed forces have suffered heavy losses along the entire front line from Sept. 27 through Sept. 30, including tanks, armored vehicles, artillery installations, rocket launch systems, as well as command and observation posts, air defense systems, etc.
The conflict between the two South Caucasus countries began in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan. As a result of the ensuing war, Armenian armed forces occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijan, including the Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven surrounding districts.
The 1994 ceasefire agreement was followed by peace negotiations. Armenia has not yet implemented four UN Security Council resolutions on the withdrawal of its armed forces from Nagorno Karabakh and the surrounding districts.