BAKU, Azerbaijan, May 26
By Sadraddin Aghjayev – Trend:
Around 62.4 million tons of cargo had been transported in Azerbaijan from January through April 2021, which is 6.2 percent less compared to the same period of 2020, Trend reports referring to a report of the State Statistical Committee.
As reported, 55.4 percent of all cargo was transported by road, 33.4 percent - by pipeline, 7.8 percent - by rail, 3.2 percent - by sea, and 0.2 percent - by air.
The volume of cargo transported by the private sector declined by 7.6 percent, thereby this sector accounted for 76.9 percent of all freight traffic.
During the reporting period, 355.8 million passengers were transported, which is 30.2 percent less compared to the same period of 2020. The main part (99.8 percent) of passengers was transported by road, and the rest (0.2 percent) - by other means of transport.
Railway transport transported 4.9 million tons of cargo (increase of 1.9 percent), as well as 689,200 passengers, which is 38.5 percent less than a year earlier.
On average, the number of loaded railway cars per day was 387, and unloaded - 330. The average daily load of cars in the northern direction of the railway was 18,900 tons, in the western direction – 3,100 tons, and in the southern direction – 1,000 tons.
In the first 4 months of 2021, 1,994 tons of cargo were transported by sea, which is 2 percent less compared to the same period of 2020. The share of oil cargo accounted for 42.5 percent of the transported cargo. The volume of cargo handled in the ports of Azerbaijan amounted to over 3.1 million tons, of which 96.3 percent of the total volume was transit cargo (3.04 million tons).
As of May 1, 2021, the volume of the remaining cargo in the ports amounted to 78,400 tons. The number of passengers transported by sea decreased by 25.9 percent year on year, amounting to 4,300 people.
Besides, in 4M2021, 34.6 million tons of cargo were transported by road, which is 10.8 percent less compared to the same period of 2020.
Some 355 million passengers have been transported by road for the specified period (a decrease of 22.4 percent in annual terms). In particular, 92.1 percent of passengers were transported by buses, and 7.9 percent accounted for taxi services. Freight turnover decreased by 20.6 percent, and passenger turnover - by 18.6 percent, the report said.
Meanwhile, 176,000 passengers were transported by air, down by 59.9 percent in annual terms. The private sector accounted for 1 percent of this mode of transport. Freight traffic by air for the year increased by 33 percent, their volume amounted to 139,800 tons, added the report.