FM: Iran fully prepared for war
Azerbaijan, Baku, Nov. 3 /Trend/
Iran is fully prepared for war, Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said in a defiant response to a new missile test and a strike debate in Israel, The Hurriyet Daily News reported on Tuesday.
"Iran has always been threatened by Israel. This is not new for us. We have been hearing threats from Israel for eight years. Our nation is a united nation. Its roots are deep in history. Such threats are not new to us," Salehi told the Hürriyet Daily News yesterday on the sidelines of the Istanbul Conference for Afghanistan, adding that if any country tried to insult Iran, it would respond very fiercely.
"We are very confident of ourselves. We can defend our country," he said.
Israeli defense officials said the military successfully test-fired an advanced missile from a base outside of Tel Aviv yesterday. Foreign news reports said the test involved firing a long-range Jericho missile capable of carrying a nuclear warhead and striking Iran.
On Wednesday, Israel successfully test-fired a missile capable of carrying a nuclear warhead and striking Iran, The Associated Press reported.
The missile was tested shortly after publishing reports by some Israeli media which said Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Ehud Barak warned that a military strike on Iran was an option.
According to the Haaretz daily, Netanyahu is now lobbying Cabinet members for an attack. Furthermore, Netanyahu and Barak recently persuaded Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman, who previously objected to attacking Iran, to support such a move.
Edited by T.Konyayeva.