Iran dismisses news on FM Salehi sending letter to Khamenei regarding direct talks with US
Azerbaijan, Baku, June 13 /Trend S.Isayev, D. Khatinoglu/
Iran's Foreign Ministry has denied a report published by Reuters that Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi sent a letter to Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei several months ago calling for wide-ranging talks with Washington, Mehr news agency reported.
The spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of Iran, Abbas Aragchi dismissed the news, calling it "baseless".
He added that sometimes foreign media outlets publish wrong information to to deviate public opinion prior to upcoming presidential elections in Iran.
A Reuters report cited sources as saying Salehi sent a letter to Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei that called for "broad discussions with the United States.
Iran's Supreme Leader said on March 21 he was not optimistic about proposals for direct talks with the United States, but he doesn't oppose to the probable direct talks with Washington either . Khamenei said at the time that Iran's past experiences show that talks with U.S. officials do not mean to talk and reach a logical outcome.
Previous calls by Washington for direct dialogue with Tehran had been shot down by Khamenei. The two governments have had no diplomatic relations for more than three decades.
On June 14, Iranians will go to over 66,000 polling stations across the country to cast their votes for the 6 active presidential candidates.
Over 420 journalists from 39 countries will be covering the presidential elections in the Islamic Republic of Iran, according to country's Public Relations and Information Center of Ministry of Culture.
Such countries as Azerbaijan, Germany, Australia, Russia, Japan, UK, UAE, France, Turkey, Iraq, Ukraine, USA, Syria, China will be covering the elections in Iran.