Iranian FM: No new offer from US for fuel swap
Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki on Friday dismissed media claims that the U.S. has given a new offer to Iran for fuel swap, the IRNA news agency reported. 'Such claims are sort of media play,' Mottak said.
Certain western media claims that the U.S. has extended a new offer to Iran for fuel swap based on which the amount of low enriched uranium sent abroad will increase to 2,000 kg from 1,200 kg proposed last year.
"No logic governs the claim. The claim that such a thing has been offered to Iran is wrong. No such a thing has been reflected to us," he said.
"Also Tehran Declaration has specified quality and framework of such fuel exchanges and swap. Such an issue is not much on table because the other party (Vienna Group) which used to follow the subject has not for a while taken the due step. If they do not like, we too will not need such a swap because the Islamic Republic of Iran follows its own way," Mottaki said.
A tripartite declaration on uranium exchange was reached on May 17 between Iran, Turkey and Brazil. The foreign ministers of these three countries signed a draft agreement for the exchange of Tehran's low-enriched uranium (up to 3.5 percent) for highly enriched uranium (up to 20 percent) for Tehran's research reactor. According to the document, the exchange would be made on Turkish territory.
Based on the Tehran declaration, Iran was expected to hand over 1,200 kilograms of low enriched uranium and receive 20-percent enriched uranium. Today, Iran has 2,800 kilograms of low enriched uranium.
Iran and six international mediators (Russia, the United States, China, the UK, France and Germany) are expected to launch new talks on Nov. 10 after a one-year hiatus. EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs Catherine Ashton will represent the structure at the discussions.