Iran, P5+1 to hold next round of nuclear talks in February
Baku, Azerbaijan, Jan. 19
By Umid Niayesh - Trend:
Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said that the next round of talks between Tehran and the P5+1 is scheduled to be held early in February.
The exact date and venue for the next round of nuclear talks will be announced, the top Iranian nuclear negotiator said, Iran's ISNA news agency reported Jan. 19.
Iran and the P5+1 (five permanent members of the UN Security Council plus Germany) held their 12th round of talks to find a solution to the outstanding issues over Tehran's disputed nuclear program on Jan. 18.
The talks took place at the level of deputy foreign ministers in Geneva, Switzerland where the Iranian diplomats earlier held bilateral meetings with the US delegations.
Iranian nuclear delegation will leave Geneva for Tehran today.
Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif also held bilateral meetings with his US counterpart, John Kerry as well as German foreign minister, Frank-Walter Steinmeier and French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius last week.
Zarif also discussed the negotiations with the EU Foreign Policy Chief Federica Mogherini in a meeting in Brussels on Jan. 15.
The talks between Iran and the P5+1 group have been extended until July 1, 2015 to reach a comprehensive nuclear agreement.
After the sides failed to meet the 24 Nov. 2014 deadline, they also extended the Geneva nuclear deal, which was signed in November 2013 for providing Iran with some sanctions relief in exchange for Tehran agreeing to limit certain aspects of its nuclear activities.
Follow the author on Twitter: @UmidNiayesh