Iran says no extension, but Nuke talks may continue
Baku, Azerbaijan, July 13
By Umid Niayesh - Trend:
Iran is against extending the ongoing nuclear talks with the P5+1(five permanent members of the UN Security Council - the United States, Britain, France, Russia and China - plus Germany).
"We believe that the talks should not be extended again, however talks can continue till the point which is needed," Iranian foreign minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif said, Iran 's Fars news agency reported.
He made the remarks during a meeting with his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi on July 13, in Vienna, where the Islamic Republic and the six world powers are still holding intensive talks to iron out the remaining differences and nail down a deal on Tehran 's nuclear program.
July 13 is the most recent deadline Iran and the group P5+1 have given themselves.
Earlier in the day, Abbas Araqchi, Iran 's senior nuclear negotiator and deputy foreign minister, said that there is no guarantee that Iran and world powers will reach a final agreement tonight or tomorrow.
"I cannot promise that the job will be done tonight or tomorrow, but there is hope," the top diplomat said.
He noted that some problems still remain and an agreement cannot be reached until the problems are resolved.
Edited by CN
Follow the author on Twitter: @UmidNiayesh