Two Georgian military bases closed in Afghanistan
Georgia, Tbilisi, June 12 / Trend N.Kirtskhalia /
Two Georgian military bases were closed In Afghanistan, Minister of Defense of Georgia Irakli Alasania said in a show of 'Rustavi-2' on Wednesday.
According to him, the Georgian side appealed to NATO command with this initiative after a series of attacks on Georgian troops.
"After the first attack we appealed to NATO command on the measures that should have been taken to ensure the safety of our troops. The recommendations of the Georgian side had been fully accepted. According to them, the process of fortification and engineering reinforcement has been already started. According to our recommendations, two of our bases were closed, although for some reason I cannot name their places of deployment. All the possible measures were taken to ensure the safety of our troops," Alasania said.
The military base which was recently attacked should also be closed in three or four days, he added.
"The base which was attacked had to be closed in three to four days, and the contingent - to be moved to a new place of dislocation. Unfortunately, we do not have time to do this," Alasania stated.
A base of Georgian troops in the Afghan province of Helmand was attacked on June 6; seven servicemen were killed and nine were wounded.