Italy on Sunday condemned the damage to its embassy in Tripoli and accused Libya of failing to take steps to protect foreign missions, Xinhua reported.
The Italian foreign ministry made the condemnation in a statement following reports from Tripoli that a fire had broken out at the Italian embassy.
The statement said the attack against its embassy "will not weaken" the determination of Italy to continue with its partners in military operation against the forces of Muammar Gaddafi.
Italy withdrew its diplomats from Tripoli several weeks ago before recognizing Libya rebels based in Banghazi .
NATO has been carrying out airstrikes in Libya for past six weeks while Italy has provided military bases and directly joined the bombing last week.
A late NATO bombing overnight killed Gaddafi's youngest son Saif al-Arab, as well as three grandchildren of him.
Gaddafi earlier said NATO bombings of Libya are a crime and the scene of warfare will move to Italy.
"Between us and Italy war has been opened. My friend Silvio Berlusconi committed a crime by permitting the Italian bombings. This is an attempt for a new Italian colonialism," Gaddafi said on state TV Sunday.
"War must now move to Italian territory - that is what Libyans want, and I cannot oppose them," Gaddafi said.