Clashes erupt after trial of Egypt's ex-interior minister adjourned
There was chaos outside a Cairo court Sunday after the trial of former interior minister Habib el-Adly and six ministry officials, who have been charged with ordering the killing of protesters earlier this year, was adjourned, DPA reported.
The New Cairo Criminal Court adjourned the trial to July 25.
Hundreds of human rights activists and the family members of those killed were angered when the case was adjourned again and started throwing stones at police deployed around the court.
Eight soldiers were injured in the clashes, officials said.
Activists said five police cars were damaged. They said military police banned people from taking photographs outside the court and tried to confiscate some of their cameras and mobile phones.
The army eventually intervened to end the fight.
The seven defendants are being tried on charges of ordering attacks by police and security forces, which included the use of live ammunition and batons, on protesters.
El-Adly had pleaded not guilty to ordering the attacks, which killed more than 840 people during the protests against former president Hosny Mubarak's government. More than 6,000 people were injured in the uprising.
El-Adly, who served as interior minister for more than 20 years under Mubarak, was sentenced in May to 12 years in prison on separate charges of embezzlement.
The 18-day nationwide uprising, which toppled Mubarak after his 30-year-reign, began on January 25.
Mubarak, his family and a string of former ministers and officials have been charged with corruption and criminal offences.
Post-Mubarak Egypt has seen continued rallies demanding the trials of former officials, and faster economic and political reforms by the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, now in charge of the country.