Egyptian military denies using force against protesters
Egypt's military rulers denied early Saturday using violence against protesters and accused a key opposition group of trying to "incite sedition" between the people and the army, dpa reported.
"The April 6 Youth sought to trigger this sedition, but it has failed due to the positive steps recently taken," the ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces said in a statement on its Facebook page.
April 6 Youth played a key role in a popular revolt that toppled former president Hosny Mubarak in February.
The group has been going on a strike in central Cairo and other Egyptian cities for two weeks to protest what it says is the military rulers' slow pace in delivering on promises of reform. On Friday, clashes erupted between the military police and protesters in Alexandria, Egypt's second biggest city.
The protesters had thrown stones and empty glasses at the command of the city's military zone after reports that the military police had arrested some opposition activists earlier in the day.
"The people should be on their guard against these suspicious plots, which are seeking to destabilize Egypt," added the military council.