Ugandan girls' school fire kills at least 19 students
(dpa) - Fire engulfed a girls' school dormitory in the south-western outskirts of the Ugandan capital Kampala Monday night, burning to death at least 19 students, police officials said.
The fire broke out in a dormitory in Buddo Junior School, about 15 kilometres south-west of Kampala, but police officials said they do not have details including the cause of the inferno.
"Yes, 19 children died in the fire. We have not established the cause of the fire. The number of those injured and other details is being worked out by our officers on the ground," police deputy spokeswoman Judith Nabakooba said.
Fire accidents claiming dozens of lives of boarding school pupils are common in Uganda every year. The fires are sometimes caused by abandoned candles, neglected water heaters and flat irons.