Sharon Stone Issues Second Apology For Earthquake Remarks
( CM ) - SHARON STONE has apologised for a second time for her insensitive Chinese earthquake remarks, insisting they were blown out of proportion by media "sensationalism".
The outspoken actress left Chinese journalists stunned at the Cannes International Film Festival in France last month (22May08) when she suggested the country's recent earthquake was down to "karma".
Stone was talking to a Chinese media outlet when she linked the recent disaster, which left more than 67,000 people dead, to China's recent treatment of Tibetans.
She said, "All these earthquakes and stuff happened and I thought, 'Is that karma?' When you are not nice, bad things happen to you."
A week later, the Basic Instinct star released a statement of apology saying she was "deeply sorry" for her ill-advised comments.
And now Stone seems even more determined to make amends for her misstep, issuing a second statement on Wednesday (04Jun08), reports People.com.
Stone, 50, says: "There have been numerous reports about what I said in Cannes.
"I would like to set the record straight about what I feel in my heart and end all of the misunderstandings. Yes, I misspoke. I could not be more regretful of that mistake. It was unintentional.
"I apologise, those words were never meant to be hurtful to anyone, they were an accident of my distraction and a product of news sensationalism.
"I am deeply saddened by the pain that this whole situation has caused the victims of the devastating earthquake in China."