Official: Pakistan still awaits Indian replies to Mumbai attacks' queries
Pakistan still awaits Indian replies to its 30 questions about the Mumbai attacks, the Advisor to the Prime Minister on Interior Rehman Malik said Sunday.
Addressing a joint news conference with Interpol chief Ronald Noble, Malik said that Pakistan had not received the replies yet, Xinhua reported.
"I request (Indian authorities) to send that reply as quick as possible so that my prosecutors can collect the evidence and prosecution is done really and in a successful manner to bring the culprits to justice," Malik said.
"I will again urge my counterpart to please pay some more attention to it. We have only 13 days left in the remand (of four suspects)," he said, adding that four suspects were currently in police custody.
He said a case had been registered by the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) in connection with the Mumbai attacks and eight persons were booked.
The News Network International news agency quoted Malik as saying that while suspects could be held in police custody for 90 days in India, Pakistani laws allowed police remand for only 30 days.
Malik disclosed that information on the incident was received from India on Jan. 5 and was passed on to the FIA on Jan. 16. The FIA then conducted an investigation and submitted its report to the interior ministry on Feb. 3.
Pakistan detained six suspects and identified two more on Feb. 12, Malik said.
Ronald Noble said for the first time in three months since the attacks, Interpol received police information that would allow it to help Pakistan's FIA "thoroughly and comprehensively determine the international dimension" of the incident.
He said FIA established links to seven countries including India.