Uruguayan president calls for calm amid spread of A/H1N1 flu
Uruguayan President Tabare Vazquez on Wednesday called on Uruguayans to be calm amid the spread of the A/H1N1 flu, which has killed 15 people in the country, Xinhua reported.
Vazquez said Uruguay is following the protocols established by the World Health Organization because "we can not improvise on an issue like this one."
The A/H1N1 flu "has been much more inoffensive than the common flu, the seasonal flu," Vazquez told a local TV channel.
Vazquez call on the government, people and media not to create an "alarming" message because it could be "more harmful than the disease."
Uruguayan Public Health Minister Maria Julia Munoz said earlier that the oppositions have been trying to "politicized" the issue by increasing preventive measures.
Local government of the departments of Soriano, San Jose and Rio Negro have suspended massive public activities till next week, measures that was rejected by the national health authorities.
The country's health ministry have confirmed 15 deaths and 132 hospitalized patients of the A/H1N1 flu until Tuesday.
All the deaths were related to organic failures and other pathologies.
Uruguay reported its first two confirmed cases of the flu on May 27. The patients were two young people returning from Argentina.