Karzai: No progress in war on terror
Afghan president Hamid Karzai has said the US-led forces in his country have not made any progress in combating terrorism during the nine-year occupation, Press TV reported.
The Afghan leader linked the problem to two controversial issues, including the growing civilian casualties of the war.
"The lack of progress in the war on terror has two factors; one the terror havens have not been addressed and second because civilians were killed during this war," his office quoted Karzai as telling lawmakers on Thursday.
The statement was released following a meeting between Karzai and head of the US Central Command James Mattis in Kabul, amid growing rifts between Washington and Kabul over US policies.
Six Afghan children were killed and another was wounded following a US-led airstrike in eastern Kunar province, a Press TV correspondent reported earlier.
Civilian deaths, usually caused by careless aerial attacks, have triggered public anger.
The president told Mattis that the war in Afghanistan could not be won as long as militant havens outside his country remained active.
Karzai also stressed on the vital need for strengthening Afghan security forces, which are due to take over the NATO force at the end of 2014.
According to UN estimates, some 1,300 civilians have been killed in the war-torn country so far this year-- with foreign troops responsible for a quarter of the deaths.