Fourteen people including seven security forces and seven insurgents have been killed during an operation launched Friday in Bala Buluk district, Farah province 695 km west of capital city Kabul, deputy to provincial police chief Mohammad Ghous Malyar said Saturday.
"The operation with the involvement of army and police launched in Shiwan village of Bala Buluk district on Friday and so far seven Taliban rebels, six Afghan soldiers and one Afghan police have been killed," Malyar told Xinhua.
Twelve Taliban insurgents and two policemen have been wounded in the battle, he added.
The operation is still underway and would continue until the area is cleaned up of insurgents, the official further said.
Afghan Defense Ministry spokesman Zahir Azimi, according to media reports, also confirmed that the gunbattle in Bala Buluk district, Farah province on Friday left six Afghan soldiers dead and wounded 10 others.